Technological Case Studies
.NET Case Study – Transportation Industry
A steamship equipment depot management facility that stores and repairs equipment for some of the largest steamship companies in the world had the following challenges:
- Sharing information among its multiple facilities.
- Providing customers with timely and credible repair estimates.
- Providing timely and accurate information to their customers regarding their equipment.
- Providing customers with an interface that would allow them to view equipment activity, approve repairs and create bookings.
- Providing customers data that can be integrated into their own systems and applications.
Working together with our client, Aptude built a robust data warehouse application that allowed the depot’s customers to access the new enterprise system via a secure Internet connection.
- Gate activity (storage) was captured in real-time using a hand-held device with images that updated a live database via a 802.11 b connection.
- Repair estimates were also generated on the hand-held unit as intermodal equipment came into the depot. The repair estimates were also sent to the database via an 802.11 connection. Once the repair was stored in the database, a scheduled job would electronically notify the depot’s client that a repair estimate was created for a particular unit and an approval or disapproval action was needed. With password authority to view the repair estimate and the images related to the repair, the depot’s client could then approve or disapprove the repair estimate.
The new hand-held/repair piece can potentially save days in the repair estimating process. Furthermore, the new application sends hourly data feeds to its customers in the format they require. This is truly a business-to-business application that has increased labor efficiencies, provided immediacy and increased customer satisfaction.
Profit Improvement Benefits
Repair estimates that are more credible, accurate and timely lead to more repair approvals which led to higher sales. Reducing labor resources via the hand-held, online reports and business to business transactions reduces our client’s expenses.
- Microsoft .NET Platform
- SQL Server 2005
- SQL Server CE
- WIN CE 3.0
- Embedded Visual C++
View a downloadable version of this Microsoft .NET Case Study!
Read more Aptude Microsoft .NET Success Stories!
Learn about our Microsoft .NET Application Development services.
Visit the Microsoft .NET Environmental Case Study page.
Gain Time, Increase Currency, Contact Us
It’s amazing how one quick email can change your life. Give us a shout! We’ll get back to you right away with the right person for what you’re looking to accomplish.
What our clients are saying…
Aptude provides onsite and offshore Oracle DBA support, which includes troubleshooting, back-up, recovery, migration, upgrades, and daily maintenance of Oracle database servers. Aptude has been working with our team for the past four years and we continue to use them and are satisfied with their work
Aptude provided Build.com a Java, MySQL, Webservices and other UI based solution in the business domain of analyzing and reporting on user activities for our ecommerce website. Utilizing Omniture’s APIs to download, parse, and regenerate and upload back so that we could be more effective in our marketing. I was satisfied with their project work and delivery and would consider utilizing them for future projects.” Build.com
Aptude provided us with Oracle DBA migration support, including an upgrade from Oracle 11.1 to Oracle 11.2, and the project was completed on time and to specifications. The project manager and project consultants were responsive and proactive, resulting in a successful conclusion to the work. I would definitely contract with them again, and have recommended them to other technical offices at the University of Georgia.
Thank you for the hard work your team has put forth to staff the contract positions at Wolters Kluwer. Aptude has consistently scored high in our supplier carding and even more important you are a vendor we can always trust. I am especially impressed with your ability to tackle our positions that other vendors have not been able to fill.