To recap, those seven risks are:
Risk 1: High Hourly Cost
Risk 2: Time Zone Differences
Risk 3: Not Agile Enough
Risk 4: Language Barriers
Risk 5: Culture Barriers
Risk 6: Knowledge Transfer
Risk 7: Questionable Code Quality
Today, we’re going to discuss the 2nd risk of outsourcing: time zone differences.
Outsourced Software Development Risk Two: Time Zone Differences
If you’re an agile IT project manager working in a US time zone, the last thing you need is more delays in your schedule. Yet if you’re using an offshore development team, delays are exactly what you get in exchange for the lower costs per hour.
So let’s say you’re a PM who has some team members in the US and some offshore. At the times you’re hoping to have a standup with your team, your offshore developers are heading to sleep. They’re on, but aren’t nearly as focused and bright-eyed as they would be on a humane working schedule. So you continue your day, review their stories from the day before, and make comments.
Now, you have to wait until they wake up again to meet… or worse, the day later.
While at first the delays are alright, after a while the extreme asynchronicity of communication causes team breakdowns, code review delays, and other problems.
After a while, you may even regret the “cost savings” offshore development supposedly provided you.
With nearshore development teams in Mexico City, this isn’t a problem. Our Aptude nearshore developers…
- Work in US time zones, just like you do
- Sleep when you do – and are awake when you do
- Respond to meeting requests, answer questions, and move stories through during your daytime hours
- Respond to new work assigned the same day, rather than a day later
As a result, your project starts agile and stays agile, because your entire team is working in a more or less synchronous fashion, even while being remote.
Here’s how AptudeFlex Helps You Become Your Project’s Superhero
When you use Aptude’s Nearshore Developers, you’ll be able to move forward with confidence.
- You’ll get a team of experienced developers working under very experienced Project Leads and SMEs. Our Python Center of Excellence in Mexico City is filled with developers who know Data Science, Big Data, and Full Stack development very well.
- Cost Savings. You’ll get development work done for as little as $38 an hour in US time zones
- Agile First. You’ll get a team very adept at working within agile frameworks and timeframes
- Remote Always. Our team knows how to work well remotely. Their workspace, routine, and communication patterns enable remote work with high productivity.
- We flex with you. You can ramp up as needed … and ramp down just as quickly. So if you need to move faster to meet deadlines, you can ramp up with us. And if you need to scale down in response to slowdowns or budget changes, you can ramp down.
- Complex is no problem. Our project team is highly experienced in running complex projects, and can support you in staying within scope and budget.