Taking a Deep Dive into Big Data – It’s a Game Changer
Competitive sports is a big business with big players, big fans and big money. The outcome is all driven by how well a team understands player stats, skills and overall performance ability. Big Data Analytics is one area that has transformed the industry whether professional, amateur or youth sports. Data analytics, machine learning and artificial intelligence technologies are changing the sports industry in ways we never knew where possible. It is revolutionizing sports by interpreting statistical data and helps process qualitative and quantitative data into easily digestible content.
High-Impact Sports – athletes want optimal performance by becoming physically stronger, faster and even leaner in order to help win the game.
Elite players study past performance and even look to other leading players to try to get a competitive edge. So it would only make sense competitive sports would be early adopters of Big Data Analytics and Cloud-Based Software. In the United States youth sports a 17 billion dollar business with major sports organizations utilizing apps, cloud-based software and big data applications to modernize sports with on-field cameras, wearable devices, tracking gadgets embedded into players’ equipment and radar gear that has memory computing for real-time statistics. High schools and college sport coaches are learning more about big data with easier analytical tools available with accessibility to synchronized video, sensors and new ways they can optimize ticket sales, concession stand, sports merchandise by using predictive analytics.
Athletes have access to new impactful agility drills aimed at helping improve motion and skills. Encourages players to change direction and promotes speed, endurance, agility, strength and quickness for better results during the game. Helps athletes to perform at their best, improve flexibility and injury prevention advice. Data analytical software gives coaches access to educational articles on nutrition, high school sports, performance training. Sports articles on varied topics from the physical demands of a competitive sport, academics and how sports have many benefits. Athletes can find and connect with local sports organizations like high school sports, college sports, local sports clubs and professional sports clubs in their geographic area.
Big Data Tools Used in Sports
1st Tool: Analytics Cloud-Based Software
Gives sports teams customized, advanced in-game player information -high school coaches can now use analytics software to electronically watch videos of competitive teams on the field while viewing various games quickly. Big data stats can be funneled into easy digestible reports. Improve and enhance fan experience, target a player’s performance and help sport organizations with the business side of sports from tickets to merchandise sales.
- Sports Management Analytics by Tableau – Coaches can streamlines operations, engage fans and build dashboards; create better exercise routines, and interpret workload management data with sports data visualizations such as graphs and charts. Provide better solutions to fix problems or predict outcomes and help adequately prepare athletes with the physical and mental demands of sports. Technical and tactical errors, daily monitoring and identifying load management mistakes with athlete response, rate of perceived exertion, data aggregation all can be easily tracked with machine learning and predictive analytics.
- Boom Stats Analysis (BSA): Unique cloud-based, responsive data driven platform. Supports Cricket, Basketball, Football, Rugby, Handball and Lacrosse. Coaches, players and clubs looking to gather match performance data can create a personalized dashboard by uploading game videos and player insights. Captures wellness, fitness data, and record player training in addition to creating customize labels for any event, game, player and team stats.
Helps make improvements to their team even share opponent team stats with key features such as automated video analysis, all team/player actions that can be viewed by player and by team, player synergy, wellness data capture and graphics, fitness data, live match data with graphics. Coaches can now easily download to Excel and the software is an open multisport platform.
- SAP Sports One – Sports team management software is a cloud-based solution for soccer, ice hockey, basketball, skiing with cloud deployment, improved collaboration with mobile apps, and integrated platform for all sports data and offers a deeper insight into team dynamics. Analyzes and tracks player talent, with consolidated player profiles with player health and fitness and coaches can monitor player development. The platform has sales performance, marketing data, segment lists, personalized offers, recruiting, team management processes and on boarding
- Microsoft Sports Performance – Cloud based analytics customized platform that provides critical information – aggregates and visualizes team and player stats with big data and machine learning. Provides predictive outcome modeling to track and improve athlete and team performance. Customized to track and improve athlete and team so coaches can view trends while combining player’s heart rate, speed, acceleration and deceleration on the field.
Combines data into live dashboards to help shape training regimens for improved recovery and reduce injury. Developed by Power BI, Microsoft Azure, and Surface devices for local broadcast coverage; includes video replay and game highlights with Power BI Solution Gallery.
2nd Tool: Game Scoring Applications
Game scoring applications are a dream come true for players, coaches and youth organizations since it helps little league coaches to collect player statistics, collects game scores and parents can access the data analytics instantly via mobile, live play and view statistics with the feature of live play-by-play action.
- Score Stream: Scoring games and sharing memories of past sporting games with family and friends has never been easier. Built specifically for high school and youth sports for txt updates, notifications and has play-by-play commentary, real-time conversations with professional photos that you can send right from your mobile phone.
- The Score Text Generator – Designed to send updates to your key contacts by frequently and automatically generating your score update for you. This app has photo filters, customized score overlays and you don’t have to wait to get home to add score enhancements to your photos. Everything can be done immediately and you’re able to publish instantly to social media site.
- Score Stream Supports Multiple Sports: This app supports football, basketball, baseball, softball, hockey, soccer, lacrosse, rugby and water polo with more sports added in the near future. Quick scoring options makes it super easy for coaches to track data by collecting score once and then post to Twitter, Facebook by using the scoreboard widget and all done in just a few clicks.