To recap, those seven risks are:
Risk 1: High Hourly Cost
Risk 2: Time Zone Differences
Risk 3: Not Agile Enough
Risk 4: Language Barriers
Risk 5: Culture Barriers
Risk 6: Knowledge Transfer
Risk 7: Questionable Code Quality
Today, we’re going to discuss the 3rd risk of outsourcing: not being agile enough.
Outsourced Software Development Risk Three: Lack of Agility
The Agile Manifesto said it beautifully when it said:
We are uncovering better ways of developing software by doing it and helping others do it.
Through this work we have come to value:
- Individuals and interactions over processes and tools
- Working software over comprehensive documentation
- Customer collaboration over contract negotiation
- Responding to change over following a plan
That is, while there is value in the items on the right, we value the items on the left more.
There’s a lot of benefit to be had by adopting agile
Faster Feedback Loops
Agile is iterative, which means that feedback is built into the process. Agile delivers internal feedback during QA and external feedback during customer and product owner demos. Over time, the team becomes more productive and aligned with each other, the product owners, and the customer.
Flexible Prioritization of Features
Things change. If life were a lesson in change, 2020 was the crash course. Projects must be able to respond to any changes – in budget, value, priority, or team member availability. Agile “builds in” change with each sprint, rather than trying to predict it at the beginning months if not years in advance.
Quick Wins with Focus on MVPs
Agile software development prioritizes the MVP (minimum viable product) for a reason: it allows teams and stakeholders to get value with each sprint of work, rather than waiting for the end. It also focuses on
More Consistent Work Output and Accountability
Another benefit of agile, scrum, and lean outsourced software development is the focus on consistent work output and accountability. Agile is, at the end of the day, making work visible. When your team works agile, you can be sure that they’re estimating their work, measuring their work, and optimizing their velocity. This consistency over time means consistent output you can rely on and budget for.
Despite these clear benefits, at the end of the day, the heart and core benefit of agile project work is creating software that actually works and delivering actual value to actual human beings. And that’s why at Aptude, agile is almost all we do.
The Problem With Traditional Offshore Outsourcing
As mentioned in our last blog, if you’re using an offshore developer team you’re going to be hard-pressed to be as agile as you could be. That’s because at the times you’re hoping to have a standup with your team, your offshore developers are heading to sleep. They might be online, but they aren’t nearly as focused and bright-eyed as they would be on a humane working schedule. While they sleep, you continue your day, review their stories from the day before, and make comments.
Once you do, you have to wait until they wake up again to meet… or worse, the day later.
While at first the delays are alright, after a while the extreme asynchronicity of communication causes team breakdowns, code review delays, and other problems. And after a while, you may even regret the “cost savings” offshore development supposedly provided you.
With nearshore development teams in Mexico City, this isn’t a problem. Our Aptude nearshore developers…
- Work in US time zones, just like you do
- Sleep when you do – and are awake when you do
- Respond to meeting requests, answer questions, and move stories through during your daytime hours
- Respond to new work assigned the same day, rather than a day later
- Understands English and American culture, leading to better communication and less work being “lost in translation”
As a result, your project starts agile and stays agile, because your entire team is working in a more or less synchronous fashion, even while being remote.
Here’s how AptudeFlex Helps You Become Your Project’s Superhero
When you use Aptude’s Nearshore Developers, you’ll be able to move forward with confidence.
- You’ll get a team of experienced developers working under very experienced Project Leads and SMEs. Our Python Center of Excellence in Mexico City is filled with developers who know Data Science, Big Data, and Full Stack development very well.
- Cost Savings. You’ll get development work done for as little as $38 an hour in US time zones
- Agile First. You’ll get a team very adept at working within agile frameworks and timeframes
- Remote Always. Our team knows how to work well remotely. Their workspace, routine, and communication patterns enable remote work with high productivity.
- We flex with you. You can ramp up as needed … and ramp down just as quickly. So if you need to move faster to meet deadlines, you can ramp up with us. And if you need to scale down in response to slowdowns or budget changes, you can ramp down.
- Complex is no problem. Our project team is highly experienced in running complex projects, and can support you in staying within scope and budget.