IBM Watson Health
An AI-based technology company applying data-driven analytics, advisory services, and advanced technologies — analyzes medical and scientific documents to discover new connections for drug development. Creates personalized patient care plans and offers best-patient-care approaches.
- Delivers actionable insights that can help identify efficiencies and improve a patient’s health.
- The health system can sort through thousands of structured and unstructured patient data to find the most optimal care.
- In addition to the latest evidence-based medicine, regulatory requirements, and quality standards implemented.
- IBM Watson Health aligned with CVS Health and Johnson and Johnson for the exploration and treatments of chronic diseases.
Big Data Companies I Big Approaches in Healthcare
Big Data can locate and fight pandemics, such as the spread of infectious diseases by analyzing and removing identifying mobile statistical data — accurately identified the H1N1 flu outbreak in Mexico, in the Spring of 2009.
New Players: Tempus, Amitech, Pera Health, Pieces Technologies, Flatiron Health, and Digital Reasoning Systems
- CVS Health acquired Aetna –well known in healthcare with big data analytics and health management.
- Apple –partnering with 40 hospitals and health system companies; using the iPhone as a health data collection hub. Records App aggregates give providers a view of patient health records. Now a patient data brokerage business working with developers on disease management.
- Allscripts –purchased Practice Fusion
- Amazon –making moves into health management-announced acquisition of Pill Pack.
- Facebook — a data giant that collects social and consumer information. A prominent player in population health management. Amazon Web Service — a machine learning service tool is offering, leading big data and new capabilities for healthcare organizations.
- Behavioral targeting is another tool — as Amazon is a pioneer of massive data collection.
- Consolidates people’s information using AI to understand patient engagement and flag individuals of self-harm.
Who is BlueDot?
An artificial intelligence-based company calculated and predicted the spread of the COVID-19 disease. Determined there was a severe problem with pneumonia cases in just one city in China. Since pneumonia is a lung infection caused by bacteria, viruses, or fungi, as the germs spread from person to person, the data from BlueDot was critical information. The data was flagged as they worked with the government agencies to access the results and before the world knew.
But in December, “we didn’t know at that moment that this was going to become something of this magnitude,” Kamran Khan, founder and CEO of BlueDot and professor of medicine and public health at the University of Toronto tells CNBC Make It.
How Technology is used to Predict Health Outbreaks
BlueDot reviewed the data, and the World Health Organization received the news nine days later as the disease would be then be called COVID-19. No one at the time knew the depth of significance regarding this health problem in China. However, a global effort was underway to contain its spread.
As the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases was notified, NIH researchers determined within two weeks of the discovery of COVID-19 how the virus gets into the cells as the virus is transmitted in a community setting rather than in healthcare.
BlueDot uses Machine Learning with a Data-Based Approach
To analyze a variety of data and identified certain health conditions when the news alerted hospitals and governments around the world was notified about the infectious disease and the rise in bacterial pneumonia cases in Wuhan, China.
- Reports were retrieved and analyzed at midnight on December 20, 2019, by BlueDot identifying a massive amount of flu and respiratory tract infection cases.
- These health occurrences marked as urgent due to the risks and complications associated with influenza.
- Technology can help medical professionals of all skill levels to be able to interpret patient-generated data that has continually analyzed and detect slight changes in a patient’s health much earlier.
Healthcare Customized With Access to Comprehensible Data Faster
Optum IQ using AI and advanced analytics solves questions on patient health, thereby transforming patient care. Identifies high-risk patients and improves outcomes with tailor-made solutions through predictive analytics for personalized attention and better health. A new reality for doctors to find infectious diseases faster and intervene before a patient shows symptoms.
- Hospitals can utilize predictive modeling to forecast a patient’s healthcare outcome is far more critical than ever to identify undiagnosed high-risk health conditions.
- A physician can analyze patient discussions, take notes with AI screening data, and can accurately perform clinical diagnoses and suggest innovative treatments.
- Detecting and preparing for the world’s most infectious diseases is critical to combating transmittable illness can now be done with AI algorithms.
- Significantly improves data processing — giving people and more accurate picture of what lies ahead.
- A data-driven predictive model approach with machine learning and artificial intelligence will be transforming the global healthcare industry as we know it.
Hospitals should have a pandemic preparedness plan
By hospitals instituting a recovery plan and emergency preparedness response strategy for healthcare administration and medical personnel can improve.
- Patients and their health would significantly improve by installing and leveraging AI-Based Technology Software combined with Augmented Intelligence and Deep Learning to drive advances in medicine and detect another outbreak.
- Create an essential strategy for future influenza pandemics and a critical plan for their medical staff.
- Ensuring their IT healthcare systems are upgraded, and their facility is using the latest technology by implementing Artificial Intelligence-based systems to predict another pandemic and to improve healthcare in their community.
- It is helping to continue functioning during and after a pandemic is a crucial element that will help in reducing the economic impact, mortality rate, and healthcare costs.
New Policy Adopted Augmented Intelligence
The American Medical Association announced in June 2018 as a new policy — provides a broader framework for the evolution of artificial intelligence.
- It helps ensure and aid in the AI benefits, and support increased development and move forward in advances of AI.
- Use AI techniques to progress health care and policy focused on two fundamentals — appropriate integration of AI into the health care community.
- AI should be a tool for enhancing clinical judgment – not to replace or override decisions but to use it as a means for new answers and treatments.
- The expansion of health care AI tools need to carefully reviewed and evaluated.
- Patient applications focused on patient privacy for considerate clinical implementation.
Moving Forward – New Programs in Healthcare
Pilot programs in healthcare are moving forward AI algorithms and have shown that the healthcare industry is ahead of other sectors by providing patients with customized care by advancing medicine.
Doctors can make better decisions, predict chronic diseases, improves long-term patient care. Retrieve accurate tests and get results by cell phone on imaging data, CT, MRI scans, and X-rays results that incorporate data analytics, AI technology, and deep learning.
- Researchers working feverously to build mathematical modeling, find treatments to assist hospitals in treating contagious patients – and in forecasting their future of Covid-19 in their area and how the weeks and months will look like at their hospital.
- Augmented intelligence and augmented reality improves surgical data imagery, education, vein visualization, displays, cameras, and sensors to display digitally for real-world patient scenarios.
- Big data and geofencing aggregates mobile data and high-tech tactics to understand people and their habits.
The New Reality of Augmented Intelligence
BlueDot AI Algorithm
- BlueDot Technology is a geofencing AI software company focused on research and development facility – with the ability to programmatically set more than 150-million data points’ worldwide using cutting-edge, highly innovative technology.
- Utilizes a precise location data platform (embedded in a mobile app) – offering their partners like Adobe, Oracle, and Salesforce the most accurate location-based services to empower companies.
- Works with government and private sector clients by informing them about possible contagious diseases and other respiratory communicable infections.
- Uncovers potential epidemics by using machine learning to monitor outbreaks of infectious diseases.
Manipulating Artificial Intelligence-Driven Algorithms
- Anticipate infectious diseases by searching through thousands of foreign-language news reports, global airline ticketing data, animal and plant disease networks, and disease surveillance analytic program monitoring.
- Predicts the spread of infectious disease, tracking where the outbreak is headed, like the Coronavirus, through algorithms instead of public health data.
- The way physicians and the healthcare team operate – with personalized medicine and tailored-driven care for each patient.
- Identifies and responds to patterns with the digitization of healthcare.
- Genomics data expected to increase as precision medicine, and the creation of new data sets, having integrated with clinical workflows becomes the norm.
Top Leading Hospitals Implemented AI Technology into Their Healthcare System
An increase in adopting of Artificial Intelligence tools in the health care community will be due to the AMA’s new policy — aiding in diagnosis faster and in half the time, with extreme accuracy.
- Mayo Clinic
- Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- British National Health Service
- Cleveland Clinic – Constructed and launched a new center for artificial intelligence (AI) healthcare facility for researchers. Machine learning models for improving patient outcomes like infectious diseases, diagnosis, treatment, and prognosis.
- The Center for Clinical Artificial Intelligence encourages and supports the use of AI in diagnostics, disease prediction, and treatment planning.
- They are fostering collaboration among physicians, researchers, and data scientists to solve clinical issues using AI.
- University of Maryland Medical Systems– Instituted a proprietary machine learning model to predict hospital readmissions, help aid in other areas like diseases.
- Novant Health – Institute of Innovation and AI — provide more personalized patient care and accelerated solutions.
- Partners HealthCare– Provides AI capabilities to all clinicians and researchers — a massive initiative spearheaded by Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital’s joint center for clinical data science.
How Qure.ai is Transforming Healthcare with Artificial Intelligence
Today, companies like Qure.ai can instantly examine and detect anomalies based on patterns using algorithms — utilizes deep learning technology and predictive analytics to read CT, MRI scans.
Eliminate human error misreading of tests and the misdiagnosis by doctors with quick, accurate results.
The National Academy of Medicine in a 2015 article stated — 5 percent of adults in outpatient care misdiagnosed annually. An estimate of 12 million patients will receive an incorrect or late diagnosis – resulting in severe consequences.
The Advantages of Artificial Intelligence Outweigh the Concerns
AI guides doctors for better patient care — speeding up the process in analyzing tests accurately. Leveraging technology is now more critical than ever in predicting the probability of disease in patients faster and without compromising the quality of patient care.
Predictive analytics helps with the recent pandemic of the Coronavirus; it is now more critical than ever that change in our healthcare and healthcare technology system goes through a significant upgrade with advanced technology.
- Detecting the world’s most infectious diseases like Ebola, Tuberculosis, Cholera, MERS, and MRSA can be done using artificial intelligence technology.
- Deep learning and machine learning is used in conjunction with AI to help leverage medical imaging accurately and within minutes.
- Doctors can correctly attain tests super fast in less time — even before symptoms appear in patients.
AI technology a Life-Saver for Patients and Impacts Public Health
Reduces operational costs and human error with new methods to improve medicine — retrieve test results faster and more accurately, and smart technology is the answer. AI-software companies that specialize in advanced predictive analytics modeling using real-time data and patient historical information is helping in the fight — by collecting patient records, tests and dissecting documents and statistical data to diagnose chronic diseases.
91% of healthcare administrators agree artificial intelligence will significantly and positively boost healthcare for better treatments. However, 75% are worried it will threaten patient data privacy and security.
- Promotes better quality of care, minimize errors, and predict diseases in healthcare — physicians learn to work resourcefully and powerfully with smart technology and advanced systems.
- Retrieving test results and tackling patient care by processing medical data to foresee outcomes or prevent tragic consequences with extreme calculations for accurateness and truthfulness.
- AI is playing an integral part in routine care and detecting life-threatening conditions by predicting problems before they occur. Healthcare organizations have launched Augmented Intelligence involving AI-derived algorithms.
- AI will help in scientific research, resulting in enhanced human intelligence with predictive analytics supporting the healthcare systems.
- Challenges to adopting AI in hospitals is still a genuine concern as IT professionals need to build a consensus among the medical staff and to show proof that implementation will be transformative.
Who is BlueDot?
It is a geofencing and AI software technology company that specializes in extraordinary high precision and accuracy data.
- Protecting the public from infectious diseases using artificial intelligence to predict the spread of Coronavirus using their surveillance system and could help the next pandemic in its tracks with highly accurate predictive data.
- What is Geo-fencing(Geofencing) It is a feature in a software program that applies a global positioning system (GPS) or radio frequency identification (RFID) to define geographical boundaries.
- Making an impact in healthcare and across the country — using AI and Predictive Analytics to predict the spread of infectious diseases before it happens.
- How are BlueDot products anticipating the Coronavirus outbreak? It’s through AI-driven contagious disease surveillance technology.
In a recent article by Virtualization News — dated February 14, 2020, by Samantha McGrail, she states that Artificial Intelligence (AI) is slowly and progressively becoming more prominent in healthcare systems. But 75% of hospitals are threatened by AI and feel it could put patient’s privacy and data at risk, according to a recent survey by KPMG Advisory.