Green Advancements, Intelligent Transportation Systems, and Innovations in Logistics
As we look to the future there is a transformation taking place as we become more eco-conscious with smart technology creating advancements in logistics practices, transportation system efficiency and environmentally friendly urban mobility. Green transportation has exploded in the last few years — and the excitement revolves around green vehicles that run on wind, hydrogen, solar energy.
There is a brand-new approach taking hold in transportation with a big emphasis on sustainable forms of power in the transport sector. Everything you know about transportation is becoming cleaner, greener and smarter — and it’s bigger than you could have ever imagined.
The logistics and transportation sector are undergoing a facelift and the pressure is on — to revolutionize how we can transform into smarter, intelligent and a more efficient, sustainable city; logistics product experts and trend analysts are preparing for the next generation of Big Data, Cloud Based Products and IoT.
The U.S. Department of Energy
Is the big player creating the Energy Efficient Mobility Systems Program and redefining transportation with renewable energy providers, solar power towers that will help reduce electricity prices. Energy efficient technologies are the easiest and the most cost-effective way to combat climate change by cleaning the air we breathe, reducing energy costs for consumers.
- In the private-sector electrical suppliers and the Department of Energy are all working together to help build a national smart-grid program.
- A unified eco-green system will be designed to help significantly aid in the country’s independent power grids — that will result in improved efficiency, reliability and productivity by incorporating new sources of power.
- We are now rethinking urban mobility and modernizing in the transportation industry. A major victory and a positive upswing for the transportation and logistics industry with smart technology making a huge impact on our daily lives with electric buses paving the way.
The Logistics industry is a $4 trillion market worldwide — and the key to the success is determined by automation technology and maximizing inventory, sequencing products, and warehouse operations that are well-planned. Analyzing cost-effective packaging and optimizing measurement analysis, feedback and data that include cycle times, cost metrics and service metrics all help to understand the process and increase productivity.
Proper training, determining the best delivery route with efficient transportation will keep the team well-organized and having disciplined processes. Knowing when the goods will be dispatched from the supplier, and the procurement of goods at the warehouse. Prompt delivery, receiving timely updates also play vital role coordination, proper planning and having a backup plan to keep everything on track and moving forward.
Smart Technology in Logistics
Helps to improve operational efficiency in machines and new advances in package labeling with streamline sorting systems keeps operations running smoothly. Fully automated container terminals that use computer programmed stacking cranes to help unload cargo are all ways that smart technology is making an impact. Production, handling and reducing labor costs are all benefits of this technology.
Some of the ways robotics is changing logistics as we know it —is the ability to perform several tasks and jobs simultaneously. Speed, accuracy, and efficiency all come together with robotics playing a vital role and it’s directly tied to productivity and increased sales. Orders are fulfilled quickly, helps to reduce operational costs. Companies can’t get enough robotics into their warehouse, due to the highly competent, proficient and speed orders are accomplished.
Incredibly accurate and removes human errors and mistakes. Warehouse order processing is done at record speed. Smart glasses called Google Glass is just one type of wearable that promises to change how you see by aiding in how information is displayed — and as a smartphone it’s hands-free. Alphabet developed the smart glasses several years ago, but only recently found a place in the factory.
The glasses can understand speech, language, and dialogue. Smart wristwear and headgear also boost productivity and workers have more flexibility to work on other tasks simultaneously. HoloLens is basically smart goggles with a black band wrapping around the head where technicians can use images sent onto the lenses, and it understands the movement of the person wearing the measuring-tool and can change based on movement.
Autonomous forklifts to small driverless trucks are showing up in warehouses, factories, storerooms, shipping yards, and testing environments. Otto was founded by past Google engineers and helps with regulatory and financial barriers.
Internet of things
IoT is dramatically changing logistics and transportation businesses with higher efficiency in supply that includes end-to-end visibility, better decision making and reduces delays with issues detected earlier, allowing for real-time data to be analyzed quickly. Mobile technology gives a company a view into what’s happening with barcode scanners, radio frequency identification (RFID) that help supply chain visibility and operations run smoothly and shipments and receiving are at an all-time high at 100% and inventory near 99.5%. This intelligence provides line of sight, reduces errors and gives teams accurate data analysis. Everything now is digital and critical information is captured ensuring products will be delivered on time, at the right place and the process is significantly reduced.
Motorsports Technology – A Green Industry Effort
The Motorsport industry has been feeling the pressure over the past 5 years to develop environmentally friendly electric racing cars. An alternative to Formula One — all race car drivers are required to use the same type of eco-car which have an electric motor and a five-speed gearbox. Formula E was developed to deliver a cleaner and smarter way into a fully electric sport.
Even the famous Le Mans 24-race, which is the world’s oldest sports car endurance over 90 years running is now adding two different race categories — Hybrids that feature (ERS) Energy Recovery System and the Shell Eco-Marathon with energy efficient racing. The race is focused on traveling the furthest with the least fuel. It is very different from years past, where races included only the fastest cars.
Key Sources – Intelligent Transport
Driverless Mass Rapid Transit (MRT) Intelligent Transport System will help improve commuters’ travel with green mobility that is informative, interactive, assistive. The goal is to implement innovative, sustainable smart solutions and adopt intelligent transport systems best practices and standards with close partnerships and co-creation eco-projects.
Different modes of new mobility solutions with eco-friendly vehicles in transportation, space savings cars that are collapsible, car sharing, hybrid cars that run on battery and using effective resources with smart travel choices that are green movement initiatives. Smart cities are already in place and are expected to reach $400 billion markets by 2020, with more than 600 cities on board.
The automotive industry will be able to tap into new revenue streams with technology-packed intelligent vehicles to electrified vehicles. Mobility services, vehicle services, and subscription-based offerings will include parking, insurance, toll/road charging, remote diagnostics, early warning systems and the most cost-effective way to get to a location. Mobile bundles will include financing, peer-to-peer sharing of vehicles, rides, and parking with greater customization vehicles built for the customer at the dealership.
Retrofitting and the redevelopment to smart cities with adaptable urban intelligent transportation systems that are making way for smart energy for both residential and commercial buildings that are using less energy with smart technology that is able to analyze the data that collected to find new ways to save money and create sustainable, modernized smart grids and smart meters. Reduce transportation emissions by 10 percent through electrification and demand management.
Keep Moving Forward with Aptude
Aptude is your own personal IT professional services firm. We provide our clients with first class resources in a continuous, cost-containment fashion.
Our support services will free up your senior IT staff from the overwhelming burden of day-to-day maintenance issues. Now they’ll have time to launch those new projects and applications you’ve been waiting for. Simply put, we can free up your resources and contain your costs. Let’s have a quick chat to discuss our exclusive services.
Examples of Smart Technology in Use Today — Improving Lives
- Smart Data
- Smart Water Systems
- Smart Transportation
- Smart Irrigation
- Smart Clothing
- Smart Glasses
- Smart Bionic Limbs
- Smart Watches
- Smart Refrigerators
- Smart Earbuds
- Smart Vehicles
Smart Mobility – Allows the ability to move information and data from many different municipal and private systems with intellectual property, security, and privacy information. Legal technology and public policy will be state of art, bringing together ride-sharing, car-sharing with cleaner, safer and more efficient ways of transportation that include clean technology, integration, flexibility, efficiency, and safety. By 2020 car-sharing is expected to reach 26 million.
Smart Infrastructure – Massive amounts of data can be quickly analyzed and help to plan future demand with pro-active data and maintenance. Public health issues are instantly resolved with data analysis on water quality with long-term traffic congestion solutions that include robust, reliable resources, robotics, artificial intelligence, and 3D imaging.
Smart loT Devices – Transport challenges are seen differently with advanced technology that gives accurate data with instant re-routing capabilities so people can make alternate driving arrangements. The transportation industry is investing in the industrial internet of things to help monitor and improve with real-time fleet management, operational efficiency, reducing costs, regulatory compliance, customized dashboards, GPS tracking, geo-fencing, and to speed up accident response.
Smart inventory management – gives real-time warehouse, distribution, and production center. Improves predictive maintenance, reduces the cost of inventory the data from IoT sensors have dramatically the inventory management system. Helps to create safer roads, with the help of mobile and connectivity advancements and smart gadgets playing a major role in management.
Optimal Asset Utilization – with real-time truck location, status, latitude, and longitude of an asset. Geo-fencing coordinates alerts and is an advanced version on GPS.
Urban life is digitally transforming with cities leveraging smart technology to improve environmental, transportation, financial, logistics, social with flagship activities to support the development of a safe and secure eco-system. It has grown into a sizable market investment that has grown into a global awareness campaign with learning principles, evidence-based research and large-scale data analysis to create and improve resources, land, and technology.
Smart City development focuses on reducing congestion, air pollution, preserving and developing open spaces and reducing the urban heat effects with eco-balance transport connectivity options for the public and private use of the infrastructure and services.
Eco-Friendly Green and Smart City Initiatives are the Way — Reducing the Carbon Footprint with a More Sustainable, Healthier Planet.
- Smart City Solutions for Intelligent Transportation Technologies include data that can be acquired from multiples locations that can measure traffic flows, speed and volume on numerous roads.
- Real-time visibility on traffic patterns, traffic sites and road conditions that are studied with green operations and data is generated from cameras, radar and under-road loop detectors including systems using Bluetooth and mobile phone technology.
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) estimates that each year 2.4 million premature deaths occur from outdoor air pollution. Smart city technologies will grow to reach $27.4 billion.
- Paris intends to exclude all gasoline and diesel engines from its city by 2030.
- According to a recent study published by the Institute of Technology in New Jersey — Smart City Technology will grow to $27 billion by 2023.
We are finally learning new ways to create vehicles with very low environmental impact.
- Green vehicles, electric buses, electric trains, trams, clean mobility, hybrid vehicles, non-motorized transport.
- Collapsible rechargeable city-cars, green wheel bicycles, robo-scooters to help congested cities operate within an intelligent, wireless grid that understands when, where, and how we want to travel.
- Car-sharing services that have been popularized by the millennials with very few owning cars.
Top Companies Leading the Green Revolution
- Bank of America – Eco-Friendly Operations and $3,000 cash back reward for employees who buy hybrid vehicles. The company reduced the use of paper by 32%, despite 24% customer growth. Recently spent $20 billion on eco-friendly business practices.
- Dupont – The company has been working towards sustainable operations for years and recently reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 63%.
- McDonald’s – They are working directly with PETA on increasing their shift to greener practices for a more humane and friendly way to operate toward the environment and animals.
- Home Depot – No more harvesting trees from old-growth rainforests, due to a massive outcry that reached 45,000 complaints. A big win for the Rainforest Action Network that exposed the company of being the largest retailer of old-growth wood products.
- Tesla Motors – Tesla will be building 100% electrically powered cars – and to run this type of vehicle – 2 cents per mile.
- Toyota – Known for its most fuel-efficient car – the hybrid Prius and it’s 48 MPG was recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency for the world’s first mass-market hybrid vehicle that was ranked the third least carbon-emitting vehicle in the country.
- Honda – Recognized for going above and beyond environmental obligations and responsibilities by creating the most fuel-efficient auto company in the US by building hydrogen fuel cell powered FCX into their entire infrastructure. Honda has promised to reduce its carbon emissions by 5%.
- Continental Airlines – They have spent over $16 billion in the last 10 years replacing its entire fleet of airplanes for more fuel-efficient aircraft. Installed fuel-saving winglets that cut emissions by 5% on the 737 aircraft. Reduced nitrogen oxide emissions by an astounding 75% and have a staff of full-time environmentalist that continually create green practices such as recycling efforts with greener designs and more efficient processes into their operations and business practices.
A complete facelift for the transportation section. The transportation landscape and the US infrastructure is changing rapidly — smart technology is becoming commonplace and creating clean transport that will in turn help with climate change, reduce urban pollution that results in better air quality that ultimately saves lives.
Achievements in Cities Adopting Smart Technology
Electric buses convert stored energy into power at the wheels over four times more efficiently than equivalent diesel buses. It can generate significant fuel savings across a range of diesel and electricity prices in different markets.
- Modern technology is helping the transportation industry and major cities around the world have published goals for decarbonizing public transport by 2030.
- Cities all over the globe are becoming safer, cleaner and better prepared with improved traffic flow, increased transport mobility, modernized road safety technology and advances in science and communications.
- Green transportation is made from low-cost materials that utilize low-cost energy which will in turn help reduce our global ecological footprint by reducing the amount of gas emission, decreasing the demand for natural resources
Improved functionality, transport efficiency, streamline systems are all benefits of smart technology in the transportation systems and many cities are now being adopting smart technology includes:
- Smart mobility on demand
- Smart transportation pricing
- Smart payment systems
- Smart public transportation
- Smart parking and Smart traffic flows
These advanced smart systems will help create better efficiencies in traffic safety, reducing infrastructure damage, better traffic controls, smart parking and modernized traffic data with a network of systems that help road transport. How we move with autonomous vehicle technology that will improve and increase the structure of the roadway and pushing the boundaries on productivity in the supply chain and how we do business today and in the future.
What Are You Working On?
Looking for intelligent technological solutions? Seeking consultation on your upcoming projects? Need a quote for services? Contact Aptude’s executive team directly. It’s amazing just how much one little email can rapidly accelerate your productivity.
Gain Time, Increase Currency, Contact Us
It’s amazing how one quick email can change your life. Give us a shout! We’ll get back to you right away with the right person for what you’re looking to accomplish.
What our clients are saying…
Aptude provides onsite and offshore Oracle DBA support, which includes troubleshooting, back-up, recovery, migration, upgrades, and daily maintenance of Oracle database servers. Aptude has been working with our team for the past four years and we continue to use them and are satisfied with their work
Aptude provided Build.com a Java, MySQL, Webservices and other UI based solution in the business domain of analyzing and reporting on user activities for our ecommerce website. Utilizing Omniture’s APIs to download, parse, and regenerate and upload back so that we could be more effective in our marketing. I was satisfied with their project work and delivery and would consider utilizing them for future projects.” Build.com
Aptude provided us with Oracle DBA migration support, including an upgrade from Oracle 11.1 to Oracle 11.2, and the project was completed on time and to specifications. The project manager and project consultants were responsive and proactive, resulting in a successful conclusion to the work. I would definitely contract with them again, and have recommended them to other technical offices at the University of Georgia.
Thank you for the hard work your team has put forth to staff the contract positions at Wolters Kluwer. Aptude has consistently scored high in our supplier carding and even more important you are a vendor we can always trust. I am especially impressed with your ability to tackle our positions that other vendors have not been able to fill.